Monday, August 15, 2005

Home Con 2005

Home Con 2005 Originally uploaded by Gelatomettista2.
[jimlee]

Had some relatives come down from LA this weekend. With my busy schedule, I don't see them nearly as often as I would like. My mom has 6 sisters and 1 brother (guess who was born last!) and 4 of them made the trip down to San Diego. It's great to see your mom interact with her siblings; always shows a side to them you don't get to see. I really don't understand 80% of what they say but it's still reassuring and comforting in a weird way to hear the language, share the bulgogee and catch up on family news and gossip. We had a feast of Korean food but also made some pizzas which they wrapped up to go, presumably for their kids and grandkids. They only took a taste of the ones we made and the Kim Chee Pizza was their clear favorite. Sounds horrid but give it a try; it's not half bad.

Anyway, as the night was winding down, they wanted some signed books so I dug out the last 3 copies of the Wizard Jim Lee Millenium book and put in some sketches on the endsheets. The last two aunts ("emos" in Korean) got sketches in my last copies of the hardcover Hushes. Guess I need to scramble to find replacement copies. Anyway, even though i had finished a page from Batman and Robin earlier in the day, by evening, I was already a bit cold and rusty. I am going to post the 5 sketches in the order I did them.

Only thing is the Batman was the first and it looked really flat and 2-D, partly because I hadn't broken out the thin marker yet and all the lines were thick and dead. Later, after I did all the sketches, I went back in with a thinner marker and added some detail, refined some features and added a bit more dynamism back into the piece. Still not my best, but miles better than what I initially put down.

This one was for my younger cousin who is a radiology oncologist up near LA.

4 comments:

Elayne said...

Every time my extended family gets together I insist on taking a "sibling picture" of my mom, her sister and her brother. I have one in my online files from at least the last five years. As they're all in their 70's now I take every opportunity I can to get another one, I have no idea how long I'll be able to! My favorite is one I took of them underneath their parents' wedding portrait.

Rene said...

So this is what those blank endsheets are for! :-)

Jason said...

So what are all the ingredients in a kim chee pizza?

bryan stewart said...

can you adopt me so i can get one of those--lol just kidding, great work! you always amaze me with your 5 minute sketches and all your little tricks to add a finished feel to them---keep up the great work!