Monday, August 15, 2005

Emo #6 Harley

Emo#6 Harley Originally uploaded by Gelatomettista2.
[jimlee]

This is the last one and the one I like the best, mostly because it's the loosest and I had the most fun doing this one. Drawing Harley requires a bit more creativity and thought than other characters simply because she is for lack of a better word, zany!, and if you don't do something reasonably clever, it just doesn't look like her, even if you nail the features.

Anyway, they all split around midnight allowing me to get back into the studio to start work on my second page for that night. Here's a closer look.

8 comments:

mic? said...

Thanks for sharin' these, Jim! You played it extremely smart! I, myself, can't pick which is the best. They're all incredible.

Excellent entries! Answered all the questions I had as I read along, like the Emo numberin' system. lol... that's tight!

Peace...

Tim Townsend said...

These sketches are fantastic Jim!!! That SUPERMAN just knocked my socks off!

Gelatomettista said...

Forgot to mention, the numbering is by age. The Emos also like to line up in numerical order for all formal group pictures. It's an Asian thing.

/jim

JP Mavinga said...

Very, very cool. Will Jim ever completely paint a book?

Jon Tsuei said...

It's amazing that you did each of these in about 5 mins. I do have to say that the sketch of Harley is my favorite. It might be the dark blue paper she's drawn on but it seems her personality really pops here. Awesome stuff Jim, thanks for the 5:30am post, hehe.

Jason said...

Awesome work with Harley.

Ryan said...

I'd have to say it's a tie between Harley & Supes.

Supes is cool because it seems a little surreal, stoic, and splashy. Whiteout for his symbol creates this larger than life feel to the character that Superman is.

Harley has an energy to her which resonates from the page. Whiteout here creates a lot of depth and dimension.

To correct you a little Jim, it's not just Korean moms. It's all oriental (and maybe asian altogether) mom's who can be "ruthless and brutally honest and forthright". I speak from experience.

Ryan

mic? said...

"Oriental"... *grumble* >:T

Peace...