Thursday, July 21, 2005

drawin' skinny, bald dudes is fun...

(entry: Scott Iwahashi)

...this here is a drawing I did in one of my personal sketchbooks just for sh*ts and giggles. It's kinda' sorta' based on J. Maynard from the band TOOL. Richie (Friend) saw it, and thought it'd be cool to throw it in the new PH4 sketchbook, so I did (^_^)

I am a HUUUGE fan of Gustav klimt and Egon Schiele, and this was me attempting to 'think' a bit more in that style. Naturally, I tend to think from the 'bones-out', and sometimes I think I tend to be more concerned with anatomy 'correctness', than an expressive 'outline'. I LOVE and envy Klimt and Schiele (and more recently, Phil Hale) because of their ability to 'tell' so much with just the outlines of their figures. If you see the 'sketches' of all these guys, they are very similar, it's just a few gesture lines, THEN everything else just seems to fall into place.

For any other comic artists out there who hasn't given this a shot, try it, it's fun and it teaches you A LOT (it sure as hell let's you know your weaknesses right away). Just draw what you would consider an interesting outline, totally from the 'gut', don't think too much about anatomy, folds, etc etc, this is ALL about gesture and movement, THEN render the form as accurately as you can...I'm tellin ya', it'll show you all your 'kinks' right away. All the best artist out there are GREAT at this (in fine arts, comics, whatever), and my theory is that if one can 'master' the use of the outline, along with composition (essentially, graphic design), then you can 'burn' images into peoples minds, and what's great art, if not that?!? ...in the mean time, all one can do is practice and try and understand these damn concepts. (^_^)

No comments: