Friday, March 25, 2005

Voodoo Lounge

Voodoo Lounge

[jimlee]

Been meaning to post up a larger shot of this sketch I did at a show in Naples, Italy, a year ago. Sometimes at shows I will experiment with different techniques and approaches. Sometimes I will do all the sketches just in pencil, other times, I will whip out the sable brush and ink and do washes.

This time, it was a traditional marker and whiteout sketch but with some pencil rendering and patterns thrown in. I chose that approach as I didn't want her tattoo to overwhelm the shot. Having something that complex and large on her figure would really jump out in straight black and white and I wanted a more subtle look.

Here's what it looks like closer (link.)

2 comments:

Jason said...

I love the detail of the tattoo on Voodoo's leg considering you are probably pressed for time at a convention. Impressive as always Jim. Jim will you be attending all 3 days at the Big Apple Con? Thanks!

Gelatomettista said...

cadam, I don't want to go too far out on a branch with this one, but I completely agree with you. There are many connections; cuisine being one of them. Meat filled raviolis, thick noodle dishes (anyone try ja jang myun?) and a zest for life (not necessarily apparent to foreigners on first glance in Korea tho).

iceman, I will be at the show all 3 days I think.

/jim