Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"old new stuff" ...uhhh, or something like that...

(entry: Carlitos)

...I was going though one of my 'old art' boxes recently, and I 'rediscovered' this lil' piece I did back when the first "METAL GEAR SOLID' game came out for the 'PS1' (geeez, at least six or seven years ago, or longer?). I can't remember exactly what magazine this was used for, but I kinda' remember it being for "Game Pro", or "Game Fan", maybe?...I don't know, one of those gaming magz.

...anyway, I was bored and decided to practice some 'washes' on an old piece, and at the same time, try and bring some of my 'newer sensibilities' into it. :)

...the original piece had been penciled by me, and inked my Mark Irwin, one of my old buddies from WS (very very good brush inker), BUT for this particular 'experiment', I wanted to go back in and 'roughen' it up a little bit, (Mark is very clean and slick) so I went back and re-inked some parts as well to make it look a little 'sketchier'.

Getting to draw 'Solid Snake' when this game was first coming out again was awesome, and kinda 'intimidating' since I really liked the character, AND I knew Travis Charest was doing work for it as well (hell of a 'shadow' if you ask me :) ), but tons of fun, regardless...in hindsight, I wish I would have done something 'dirtier-looking' for this piece though, and this 're-working' was sorta' my attempt to do that...oh well, 'learn and move on' I say (^_^)

...now the question is, which one do you all like better?

4 comments:

Gabe_Eltaeb said...

The new one is cooler. But I like all you work. I've been a fan since the Resident evil days.

Oscar said...

I like the depth that is added by the washing and it does add a little bit of an 'edge' to Mark's clean lines.

The only part that is preferable in the original is the clarity of the face. Some of the important aspects of it are lost ... though, I am sure good coloring would be able to recapture and accentuate those features.

Overall, the pencils and washing are really nice.

GR3GT said...

The new one looks great. Did you re-ink the actual original art, or a photocopy of it? Just wondering.

MAQ911 said...

The one on the right is waaaaaay better. Much grittier and hard edged.