Friday, April 22, 2005

Color me up

Color me up

[jimlee]

Here is the finished piece in watercolor. Not quite Arthur Rackham but I wanted something fairly kid-friendly and light and delicate. I used a .25 Koh-I-Noor to ink everything after I applied the watercolors with a #3 brush.

This piece actually took me longer than my typical superhero pencil work! Mostly because I had to pause and think about my approach at every step of the process. I think I could have spent many more hours just doing character design--that's how trippy these characters are.

Here is a larger scan.

3 comments:

MISSLEMAN said...

Love the Cheshire Cat, and the Caterpillar, and that nice atmospheric perspective of the trees in the background, it makes a nice- frame... pun not intended.
I also like your card design.

Sam Out-

fingertapper1 said...

WOW i like this so much! reminds me of milo manara only better!!!! wow i'd love to do something like this in the future...

Salix said...

Wow, seems like a tough job to not make that caterpillar look scary to a kid. Maybe it's his hair hehe. The chesire cat looks so awesome too, very happy. So are you still working on that childrens book you posted about awhile back?