Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Gomez - Nightmare on Elm Street #4

[Joel]

Hey all, just thought I would finally post and tell you guys a little history as to how I came to the Wildstorm family. Originally, I started my career at Top Cow productions as a marketing intern where I managed to successfully show my stuff to several staff artists there that needed help with their books-mainly doing backgrounds.

The experience on those first projects extended my working relationship to a lot of different artists who were pressed for time. I had assisted on everything from Witchblade, Tomb Raider, and Evo to Marvel Knights Spider-Man and Uncanny X-Men to a short stint on Soulfire. All the while I had kept in contact with the Wildstorm crew and had been lucky enough to visit the studio once or twice, always feeling that there was a level of quality and professionalism there that I strived for.

In 2005 while I was working on Soulfire, I began to work with Francis Manapul and video game super guru Jason Rubin (creator of Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter for Playstation) on the development of his latest property, Iron and the Maiden. When I met with Jim Lee at WizardWorld's 2005 Los Angeles show I got the opportunity (thanks Ale!) to show Jim my work and the rest, as they say, is history!

Next, I plan to post how I worked with all the great artists here at Wildstorm to develop my approach to this book. I would also like to thank Alé, Carlos, Richard, JJ, Sandra, Eddy, and Ryan for making me feel welcome. I would especially like to thank the main man-Jim Lee for giving me a chance. Thanks, man.

And please keep an eye out for Nightmare On Elm Street #4, my first fully-penciled project due out in January.

Lastly, for all you aspiring artists...I never got many opportunities when I started chasing this dream, I created opportunities by becoming a team player and servicing the deadline. I made sure to be timely and take anything I could.

Be hungry and good luck!

JOEL

9 comments:

mic? said...

Freddy's pretty...! :D

Congrats, Joel!! And great advice! Thanks!

Peace...

COMIKXGUY said...

iron maiden- excellent!

welcome to the blog

keep on posting

who do you think would win a fight freddy or wolverine, just a thought

gdeo said...

Thanks for the advice...your art is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Hope you guys get a chance to get a copy of this book. Joel and I worked our butts off on this issue. We are no longer background artists or assistant inkers anymore. I hope all of you will be able to be a part of this newfound legacy. (hahaha) Enjoy!


d'ho

Vittorio Giorgi said...

Congrats Joel! Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

Joel and Don share a true love for the comic book art form. Don't miss out oon this book Wildstorm fans!

-V
Aspen

Yano said...

Wow...great story. I love seeing artists move up in the ranks. Can't wait to see what else you post!

danielpicci said...

Joel
thanks for that info and great advice....its inspiring when you here success stories and how people made it....
...im so hungry ive got a growl in my stomach!

Unknown said...

V cool!