Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Old-School Nome

[Nome]

Hello everyone, hope ya'lls had a great New Year! I sure did and look forward to all that 2008 has to offer.

Anyhoo, when I was back home in Austin over the holidays I came across some of my vintage artwork, a cover to issue three of my first creator owned comic "PowerForce". (I drew, inked, colored, and lettered it all by myself, not bad for an eleven year old.) I was in fifth grade and had recently discovered comics and was hooked.

My faves were Guardians of the Galaxy, Dale Keown's Hulk, Ghost Rider, Amazing Spiderman, and Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man. It wasn't too long untill I discovered Uncanny X-Men and a hot up-and-comer by the name of Jim Lee.

In case you hadn't noticed, Jim was an influence from the start...the cover of PowerForce #3 was a direct swipe...homage...to an Alpha Flight/Vindicator cover Jim had done.

So for all of you dreamers out there with aspirations to work in the biz along with your favorite artists I have only one bit of advice: No matter how bad you are now keep drawing and do not give up. :)

5 comments:

COMIKXGUY said...

RIGHT ON NOME!

Jimmy Jay said...

Oliver- if you were 11 years old, and drawing comics at 11, and called in powerFORCE, I'm guessing you left out one of your influences, or favorite titles :)

Your pal-
Jimmy S. Jay...

Jason Johnson said...

Yo Oliver, I swear that's my story you're tellin'! Of course w/ me though, it was Uncanny Xmen #275 that got me hooked. Jim, u still the man!

Urban Barbarian said...

Early Nome rocks!!!

mic? said...

lol That'll be worth the price o' gold someday.

Dope story, Mr. Nome!

Peace...