Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Roll Out!

[Livio]

First off, the above headline is an example of the constant abuse Eddy Choi rains down on his fellow WildStormers. Whenever I leave the studio here every night, I sometimes say that I'm "rolling out"-which is an actual phrase used by normal people. However Eddy consistently accuses me of only knowing it because Optimus Prime says it.

Which brings us to this digital painting. I wanted to try and get a look reminiscent of the original Transformers cartoon and movie, meaning more linework on the characters contrasted against a looser, more painterly background. What I was going for here was to try and show just how massive Optimus Prime is- I thought of him along the lines of a huge, lumbering building. Which is why I added the flock of birds taking off from his back.

Hope everyone enjoys!

-Livio

13 comments:

Nessie Knows said...

Yeah i would say that you pulled it off nicely. Glad he is on our side.

Armando B. said...

awesomeness

drillsrgnt said...

Well done! Very nice!

Richard Oh said...

O
M
G
Awesome.

Livio Ramondelli said...

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! Much appreciated.

Ted.E. Baroody said...

I thought the movie was a joke. This, however, is not. Old 80's Optimus pwns. ROLL OUT!

Jason Johnson said...

Nice work, Livio!

Anonymous said...

This is quite awesome and Optimus definitely pulls off the building size you were looking for. Great work.

albert said...

Do you address the rest of the studio to transform before you declare that it is time to roll out?

Also, very nice painting, Livio.

Unknown said...

The birds is a badass idea...sweet shot, dood!

Brade said...

I endorse this 100%.

PartyMarty said...

This piece is pure win!

Fabrizio said...

Sei troppo un grande, Livio!

Fab