Monday, February 05, 2007

Texas Chainsaw Massacre page 11 from layout to completion

[Joel]

Hey all-Joel Gomez here with a sampling of my latest efforts-Texas Chainsaw Massacre page 11 with the story "About a Boy," the origin of Leatherface. This page focuses on the character Luda May as she is paid a visit by Thomas Hewitt's (Leatherface) concerned school teacher.

I chose to show this page for its dramatic lighting, and how early in the process I decided on it. I was inspired by Marcelo Frusin, Eduardo Risso, black & white photography...and of course the remake by Marcus Nispel. This story has also given me several opportunites to really amp up the moodiness and contrast required for such a tale.

Not much changed from the layout to finish...but you can see I made sure to work out all the strong lighting with sharpies and white out pens till I had it just like I wanted. Then I blew up the layout at 133% and transferred to artboard. All rendering and details were added later.

Four more pages to go...

JOEL

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice and thats an under statement. Just wonedering when you said you blew it up 133% what was the original size? 8x11.5?? I have to say that working smaller is more convenient with the help of a light box.

d'ho said...

sup joel ...looking good budy... keep on pumping out those pages.

dho

Gelatomettista said...

Thanks guys...I start the layouts on an 8 1/2 by 11 piece of typing paper...which is easier to work on and then blow them up to full size

Larry_Chimp_Man said...

Awesome post. It's great to see your layout design and then the final product and be able to compare the two. Some of those shadows really add to what I'm sure is going to be a creepy feeling in a Texas Chainsaw book. When does the book ship?

BrianChing said...

Hey Joel,

Great to hear you are doing so well. That page looks great, I actually really like the spontaneity of the smaller sharpied piece. Have you considered doing some of the inks yourself? Take care.


Brian Ching

Fabrizio said...

It's fightening and the reflexes on eyeglasses are great!

Great storytellyng move.

Chris Visions said...

Amazing work guys. Are any of you going to the NYC comic con?

Gelatomettista said...

Hey thanks again everyone. As some of you know Brian Ching is well known for some pretty cool Star Wars stuff over at Dark Horse...nice to see you post! Thanks for the vote of confidence on the doodles. I will be in New York for the show, hope to catch up with any "metti" fans.

Mephistopheles said...

Hi, this looks very good...one question, though...which comic is this from? Is this for the main wildstorm series?