Monday, April 26, 2010

Brightest Day covers

[Scott Williams]

This was a pretty fun cover. Lots of fat brush renderings on the big guy, and a bit thinner pen line on the Martian Manhunter. Inking Dave is a little bit like when I inked Whilce Portacio back in the day because of dramatic lighting that both these guys are so good at. They both understand form very well and I have to make sure that blacks (shadows) are spot on. The blacks also add drama, and when it comes to art, I'm all about the drama!

This is just about all brush. It was also the cover that had me thinking that doing finesse brush work over Dave is maybe not the way to go. He pencils so dark that for me to erase his markings properly pulls up SO much ink, leaving ghostly ink renderings (not a problem when using the pen). The ink I use (straight Rapidograph Ultradraw 3085-F) is fine for everyone else, but Finch is a beast with the graphite!

Pretty simple cover (simple is good!), but the wings were a bit of challenge from a patience standpoint.

7 comments:

EJ Morges said...

Scott! These are amazing! What are the chances I could get you to ink my work? ;P

Unknown said...

Williams and Finch and Williams and Lee= Perfection!

Unknown said...

most admire the pencillers but i truly believe scott makes them look their best!

spinkick said...

wow everything Finch does just looks so iconic. I'm sure you are having a blast working on these :)

Lee Townsend said...

Amazing work Scott! I think you and Dave are working really well together, and the texture you have created on the wings looks just perfect! I am currently inking for Marvel UK and I did some DC work recently, please feel free to have a look at my inking website here: http://leetownsend-inking.blospot.com

Richard Oh said...

OMG.... Ink for meeeeeeeee!
Amazing stuff as always Scott. I am blown away.

Quin said...

These are great to see! They look awesome and it's fun to be able to get in there and and examine these before the coloring.

Finch is an excellent penciller who's been improperly paired up with inkers in the past, inkers that are excellent as well but their two styles didn't quite gel. This looks like more than a perfect match for him!

Thank you as well for letting us know what type of ink you use, I myself find that sort of thing to be very interesting and helpful.