Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Magneto's Ride

[Livio]

The idea behind this painting is that X-Men villain Magneto has just taken out a Sentinel and is now using his powers to essentially reanimate it as a "chariot" of sorts as he declares war on some unfortunate party off-screen.

My challenge here was trying to balance out a busy composition while hopefully making sure Magneto doesn't get lost amid the details. I was going for less of a traditional comic book image and more for a concept art painting, like how this scene might look in a movie,etc.

This piece was also fun as it let me play around with one of studiomate Carlos D'Anda's favorite quirks - putting stickers and labels on all things mechanical. I've got to admit it was really enjoyable making up fake warnings and whatnot, and I think it helps sell the idea of the Sentinel as a machine that was actually built at one point.

Hope everyone enjoys!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Best painting so far imho. I think the energy effect helps draw your eye to magneto in turn finding him. The lighting is sick just helps nail that depth. I figured they would be farther along then Mark 4 model of sentinels by now.

Blasterkid said...

sweet Livio....I like it!

I really dig the feeling of motion.

ricH.

Unknown said...

wow! first time for me to run across your paintings. that is sweet! where can i see your portfolio & stuff for sale?

Anonymous said...

Definitely love the little warnings and labels. It adds to the feel of the Sentinel.

Brandon O'Donnell said...

That's epic. Really like that one.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the response!

And Patman, I just got your E-Mail, but if anyone else is interested in getting in touch with me, feel free to write me at LivioRamondelliArt@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Kick ass man :) Definitely a favorite of mine!

Chris S said...

Really badass! I love how in charge and collected Magento looks. His slight upward gaze really helps to sell his attitude.

Eliezer said...

Awesome painting!! Really epic!!

Anonymous said...

looks cool. I hate to be geek about this, but i'm pretty sure sentinals were said to be made from a non-metallic material to prevent exactly that from happening..

neat idea though

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous,
Hahaha that's a good point! I'm just going to say this is the model BEFORE they figured out how to make non-metallic ones.

Anonymous said...

lol yea, they gotta learn somehow XD