Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Apocalypse Now!

[Livio]

The idea behind this painting is X-Men villain Apocalypse has been hibernating beneath a desert for some time, and has just awakened to rise up through an unfortunate settlement of nomads. I mainly wanted to portray Apocalypse as a force of nature, one that would barely notice if he crushed an entire village of people beneath him. I wanted to treat this one a bit more cinematically, like if David Lean shot an X-Men film..so I added "widescreen" black bars because I'm a big movie dork. And below are some of the initial steps:

Image 1) The painting in progress. At this point the painting is super loose and dark as I'm just throwing down shadows to make sure Apocalypse will have a dramatic contrast when I eventually put some atmospheric perspective in. There's also a bunch of scribbly notes I write to myself as I work, if I happen to get ideas along the way.

Image 2) My first sketchy thumbnail.

Hope everyone enjoys!

-Livio

12 comments:

Brandon O'Donnell said...

That is really cool, man. Big and dramatic.

Francis said...

This is pretty insane! And I like the 'cinematic' feel you attempted. I think you pulled it off really well. The image looks like a detailed storyboard from a film.

Richard said...

great piece Livio I love it.

ricH.

El Snoozo said...

How F'N Cool is that?!?!!

GTJDorris said...

Damn, that's cool.

Kris Carter said...

Holy JESUS that is one epic, impressive image! What is the original size of the painting? When can I get a Litho?

~Kris

Livio Ramondelli said...

Hey everyone!
Thanks for all the kind words, much appreciated.

And Kris- the painting is a digital one and though I'm not doing any litho's of it, there are going to be some 11 by 17 prints available.

Drop me a line at LivioRamondelliArt@yahoo.com if you're interested!

Thanks again, everyone!

Colin said...

Very cool piece. My first impression was that it reminded me of the god-warriors in Miyazaki's Nausicaa.

Lucas Siegel said...

Wow, that is massively awesome. I'd love to see a gigantic full-powered Apocalypse show up in X-Men right now.

dont scoop dook in my dreads please.. said...

damn!

VHS said...

Very sweet dude, I totally agree with your take on him. Apocalypse = badass!

Also, the silhouettes of the onlookers are neat.

Isaac Marzioli - The Boring Penguin said...

This was incredible! Great painting! I am thoroughly impressed! And that's saying something, considering it's on this blog site!