Friday, July 11, 2008

You're a Star, girl !

[Lopez]

Hey there everyone, Hope everybody is ready for Comic-Con. Everyone around here seems to be counting down the days to the big show. Anyhow this is a sketch I did, this is Stargirl from the "JSA". She reminds me of Captain America so I went with a classic Kirbyish pose.

I've had a couple questions about the technique I use on these toned sketches. All there is to it, is to find markers that will match the paper you're using and basically make the paper darker, for the shadows. For your hi-lights I just use a white colored pencil and maybe a white gel pen. I like to use these for the brightest hi-lights since the gel pens are really opaque.

All of your mid-tones should come from the paper itself. You can find the colored paper just about anywhere, but you may have to cut it down yourself, I can generally get about 4, 8.5' x 11' sheets from one full size sheet of the toned paper.

Anyhow, I hope this info was helpful to anyone who may have been curious.

See ya at the Con.

5 comments:

david santos said...

Ciao Gelatometti, come và? Spero tutto bene per te. Buon lavoro. Un abbraccio e un buon fine settimana.

Brandon O'Donnell said...

Always good to hear the little techniques others use. Picture looks nice as well.

Fabrizio said...

You're great Mike.
Sorry, but the Con is one ocean and one continent too far from my home.

Can't wait to see the new pix.

See Ya

Fab

COMIKXGUY said...

fab: fly over

mike: see ya there

bestonline323 said...

wow your sketch is amazing!!!!
Comic-Con was amazingly great i really enjoyed it.
Great post!

Cheers,
Fiona


________________________
Advertising Pens