Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Digital Deathblow

(entry: Carlitos)

Waddup y'alls, how's it going?!? Feels like it's been FOREVER since my last post, but let me tell ya', these days it seems like there's only enough time for drawing and sleeping!!! Since the begginning of last year (more or less), we started designing DC's MMO over at Wildstorm.

It's an awesome job, very BIG, very challenging, and it has really pushed my 'designing' muscles to all kinds of new places, BUT between the MMO and Deathblow, there's not a whole lot of time in between... now I understand when Alex Sinclair joked about 'sleep being a waste of time', there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day sometimes (that is the main reason why the editors at WS decided to make the series Bi-Monthly, otherwise they'd kill me!!! :) )

I've really, really enjoyed Brian's (Azzarello) stuff since I first read "Jonny Double", and his "100 Bullets" stuff is by FAR one of the best books out there, so when I had the chance to work with him on my favorite WS character "Deathblow", it was one of those "where do I sign up?" kinda' things!

...this here is an intial cover idea I did based on something Brian suggested... It's all done digitally in Photoshop as a quick mock-up. I don't want to spoil any of the story, but any of you watching the news should be able to see the parallels between all the crazy things happening in the world and Wildstorm's favorite assasin. Reality is often much stranger than fiction huh?!?

The book comes out Wednesday, so for those of you who decide to pick it up, hope you enjoy, and let me know what ya' think! :)

Carlos D'

9 comments:

Gabe_Eltaeb said...

Carlos,

It's me Gabe from SDCC. I can't wait to see Deathblow. I know it will be kickass.

-Gabe

Chris Sims said...

It's good to see Wildstorm doing a 360 and going back to basics. I really missed a lot of these characters. I never really followed Deathblow so Wed will be a fresh start for me and the character. Looking forward to it.

Vittorio Giorgi said...

Really cool pic, it's almost shocking for me that is done just with photoshop!

Fabrizio said...

...Well, almost everything in Wildstormi is "where do I sign up" kinda' thing!

Anyway, the last week I was givin' a look at the old Resident Evil Comics. And they still rocks! I liked very much that story you pencilled on the Ada Wong's boyfriend. It was so cool to read about his thinking while he turns into a zombie, everyday a little more. And the slashed dog surgery in the laboratory... That page is still really cool.
Great Job Carlos, great job...

Urban Barbarian said...

This is all kinds of awesome!

Andrew Scott said...

I bought Deathblow and Wetworks yesterday. I haven't read Wetworks yet, but I dug the Deathblow issue. The knock against this character when he debuted -- that he was just a Punisher clone, whatever -- doesn't really hold up when you've got an awesome writer like Azz in there. Good stuff.

EJ Morges said...

What's MMO?

Anonymous said...

I'm envious and you a re a talented m@#$%r... keep up the great work

Anonymous said...

Hi Carlos, I just bought Deathblow and it's great fun!
I have an Italian webmagazine called
De:Code
and I would like to get in contact with you for an email interview.
Can you please get back to me at the address antonio.solinas@de-code.net ?

Thanks