Monday, June 05, 2006

World's Finest - Inks

[Scott]

My first foray into the blogosphere! All of a sudden I feel like a 21st century renaissance man.

Eddy asked me to stop by and highlight some of my thoughts on inking this particular piece, which I am happy to do, and in no particular order.

This was a pretty straight forward ink job vis a vis working on top of Jim's pencils. The figure work was pencilled very tight, and you'll see very little deviation going from pencils to inks. If anything, I blew it in regards to Robin's right eye (on the viewer's left) in that the shape and size changes, getting a bit larger. I try and take great pains in staying as true to Jim's facial structure as possible, or anyone else I ink for that matter. The change here is subtle, but there is almost no such thing as TOO subtle when it comes to faces.

On the other hand, I made some minor changes to Robin's hair, since I feel I only need to keep the hairs flow and relative highlight patterns, but will generally simplify the details a bit. Other than line weights and contours, I didn't really change or feel the need to change much else. Superimpose the inks and the pencils on top of each other and jump back and forth. You'll be able to see a where I took a few artistic liberties.

The background was similarly complete, and the only alterations you'll see are some additions of detail structures in the rooftops, some added ledges and edges. I also splattered some detail in a few of the buildings blacks, as well as just off Robin's left hip (to separate him from the background a bit). Little bits of surface detail (dits and dashes) on the buildings are added, and added highlights to the speedlines complete most of my contributions.

Jim's pencils can be MUCH tighter than this or MUCH looser. Each requires I bring a different type of discipline to the table. Now that I've broken by "blogger's cherry", perhaps I can bloviate about these differences next time...

Later--
Scott

25 comments:

AnTiCrAsH said...

Hey Scott! I'm a HUGE fan of Jim's work, and I dont think that one can be a huge fan of his without being a huge fan of yours as well! I am certainly glad to see you posting here, and would LOVE to see more of you, and your approach to inking around here!!!

OH, and fantastic job as always!

UrbanBarbarian said...

Awesome as usual, Scott! Great to see you posting! You're my ink hero, as you know! Thanks for posting your take on the process! ~DAN

Marvin Durán said...

Great Scott!
Nice to see you finally got to blog about stuff... are we gonna see any of your pencil work? I remember you did a piece of Zealot for one of the Image swimsuit issues and it was very nice...

Neo said...

Hey Scott
Great info you shared there with us,Jim's work is great but you make him look "better" meeeeeow!
Look forawrd to you bloviating again in the near future :-0
Thanks
Neo

COMIKXGUY said...

HEY SCOTT, FROM ONE SCOTT TO ANOTHER WELCOME TO THE BLOG-O-VERSE,

YOU AND JIM WORK MAGIC TOGETHER IT JUST ISN'T THE SAME WITH ANYONE ELSE

PLEASE CONTINUE TO POST HERE WITH NEW ART EVERY WEEK

SEE U AT THE SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON
SCOTT

Tink said...

Finally! I've been waiting for you to jump in ever since I found this blog.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your work for the first, and hopefully not the last, time.

NY Comedy Bling said...

thx scott, good job!

tyldak said...

Awesome! I was hoping we'd get to see the inks to this piece! I especially liked the phrase "next time"....

Brett said...

Scott! Now that we know you can type AND ink, we would love to see a tutorial from you on how you do all your coolness. Kinda like how Sandra did several weeks ago! That would be awesome! Love your work! LOVE IT!

-Brett

tyldak said...

I second that!

Brett said...

Hey...I just pulled out my copy of S/B #26 and noticed that Sinclair colored Robin's boots green. Oops!

-Brett

syrtheone said...

Awesome work scott and thanks for finally posting sir. I opened both at the same time and used the drawer feature with preview on my mac, to flip back and fourth between the 2 pieces and you are right not much variation at all. But what variation there was I definately could see, especially the hair and the rooftops among other things.

Kepr said...

Scott
Great to see you posting here. How about telling us what materials and tools you use these days, particularly with those kinda wedge shaped hatch lines you have been using. Is that brush?

Renato Ítalo said...

Nooooosssaa!!! está muito show essa arta!! esplêndida!...Até o superboy está perdendo no vôo..rsrsrsrs

Abraços...

Scott Williams said...

Thanks for the welcome guys. I will try and pop up here from time to time. And for those wondering, I have been using a brush for most of my work since I started Hush, which is one of the reasons my stuff looks different than it did in the previous years. I'm also struggling to be less "slick" in my approach--going for a grittier, more organic look.

r_sail said...

Wow, I was going to request that we get to see something from you Scott! I don't feel like your name gets sung the praise it deserves and that we should see some of the work you put in on these images... and here it is.

Thanks, Scott, you are a very talented man. Made my morning.

SteveW said...

Thanks for sharing comments !! Hope to read more on how you go to work ,

David Wohl said...

Wow. Looks good, Scott!

By the way, I hope you're doing well!

Sweet Rita said...

Great to hear from you the other half of the Dynamic Duo. He can take some time to blog with us mortals. No pun intented on the DD stuff; or maybe. Any way, loooove your work, and continue to keep us drooling over it.

P.S. Thanks for coming over to the New York Comic-Con this past February. Hope to see you again, really soon. Hope you enjoyed the Lion King.

P.J. Magalhães said...

Top stuff, as always, and welcome to the blogs (i am only a newb at it myself). And can i third the request for a tutorial? That would be awesome!

Cheers,

meek? said...

Great Scott! That's great, Scott! :D

Peace...

Matt said...

Great work Scott and interesting to hear your comments! Keep bloggin'.

Tanviper said...

Scott,

Glade you FINALLY posted on the site. One can't think of Mr. Lee without thinking of you either. The two of you make comic's greatest team!!

Please, ANY insight you might provide would be great!!

macrossjxs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
macrossjxs said...

Hey Scott,

It's awesome that you have finally come on-board the blog too! Of the Homage Studios artists your work has always been among the art that I most enjoyed.

I'd really be interested to hear what tools your are currently using in terms of brush or pen types, etc. -- in contrast to the tools you were using back on Uncanny X-Men or Strikeforce: Morituri.

On the HUSH series, some of the lines you pulled have a marker's chisel nib appearance. I've assumed it was a "calligraphy" tipped marker or pen, but it that's a brush technique...well I'm even more interested to hear what's what.

You were the first inker that made me realize how important inkers were. (I think I took Terry Austin for granted, giving all the credit to Byrne and Art Adams). Your work on the Deathlok perfect-bound mini-series, and your subsequent absence from some of the other issues made me see how vastly improved your inks made the final drawings.

Thanks for posting!

-Josh