Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Big Headed


Waddup y’alls. Hope you all had a good weekend.

Anyway, on Friday, I was checking out some Painting books I wanted to get from Amazon, and that got me in the mood to do something a bit ‘painterly’ using Photoshop. I think Mike Lopez and I were checking out a book of Gustav Klimpt here at the studio, and that got me thinking a lot about silhouettes…. So, this piece here was basically an exercise in that… coming up with a simple silhouette first, and then flesh it out from the outside in without much regard to anatomy, limb placement, etc.

In this case, I wanted to use a cartoony shape, something that could have very easily been a Pokemon or something ‘softer’, but instead, used that outline and made it into some kind of bulky soldier. This took me about an hour or so, mainly I just wanted to play with color and outlines and have fun and not worry so much about it looking ‘finished’.

Peace y’alls!

Carlitos D’


SedatOezgen said...

thats great! one hour you say? shlurghsss! Damn it Carlos this looks really cool! Im not really into colouring, but whenever I see stuff like this I kind of get inspired to do that too...then I have to face reality again seeing that Im a fishhead :D
great stuff, please keep us posted on other and new paintings. I really like this.

Now I have to leave and go to Comic Action Essen 07 :)
See ya,

Fabrizio said...

Cool! Something between Halo and Warhammer40k!

See ya


Edwin Rosell said...

Dig it man!

Gelatomettista said...

Thanks! :)

....I just recently got into painting, and kick my self for not having gotten into it sooner! Sedat? If time allows you to do it, I highly recommend you do it, it will improve your drawings like a mo'fo.... nothing like a blank canvas and a brush to see all your weaknesses :)

how 'bout you Edwin, where can we see your paintings? huh? huh? me wanna see!!! (^_^)

peace y'alls!


yo sedat and fab,

you guys should do an online collaboration

just a thought

you 2 are always here and i know from both your blogs that both of you rock