Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Grievous

[Livio]

I've been in a bit of a Star Wars mood lately given my last few blog posts, and this one is no exception. I'm a huge fan of The Clone Wars in its various animated forms, and I can never resist when an idea for a new scene hits me. With this one, I wanted to portray a hopeless war moment. An unlucky unit of Clonetroopers had found General Grievous and been completely slaughtered, save for one remaining trooper. With no hope remaining, he struggles to reach a thermal detonator before the end arrives.

I really wanted to make Grievous scary, like he was in the original Tartakovsky series. And I found the less of him I showed, the more menacing he looked. So I kept trimming down his details, making him essentially a black mass and not even showing where his hands gripped the lightsabers, but rather keep it a series of inhuman shapes.

I tend to listen to a lot of movie audio commentaries when I work, and I did this one while listening to Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now" track. Never gets old.

Until next time!

-Livio

3 comments:

Mikhairon said...

Beautiful work my friend i love the cold background really expresses a lot of the hopeless feeling to it!

I started following your blog today and i do lot of the same u do while drawing, listening to movie tracks!!!

cheers!

Spacelord said...

Hey Livio!
I like this Star Wars-piece, too. From time to time I visit your BLOG and there's always good stuff here:-)

I got a COMIC-BLOG of my own. If you want to, please check it out:

http://spacelordmf.blogspot.com/

Cheers, Uwe!

Livio Ramondelli said...

Thanks, guys!