Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Lee - The Fountain

[Eddy]

Jim created this illustration inspired by Darren Aronofsky's upcoming movie, THE FOUNTAIN, starring Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz. Here's his quote from The New York Times:

“I think they’ve created a film which every reviewer is going to bring their own interpretation of it,” said Mr. Lee, who focused on the couple central to the film’s plot. “My comic book work, I normally do superheroes, so I tend to keep it really slick so the line work is smooth,” he said. “This artwork I wanted to have an edge to it, so I used a croquill pen. It gives you a much cruder line. I wanted it to seem more spontaneous.” Choosing an image was not hard for the artist. “If anything, it was a turning down process to focus on one image,” he said. “It was interesting that no one repeated a thought.”

To see Alex Sinclair's colors, click here.

Ten other comic artists were also invited to create their pieces, including Phil Hale, James Jean, Bill Sienkiewicz and the late, Seth Fisher.

4 comments:

Inkblotz said...

Wow that is a great looking pic. Both the B/W and colored versions.

~Chris

and other drawn stuff said...

i love aronofsky's movies, especially pi.
and it's great too see high profile artists contributig to his new film.
i like the loseness of the linework in jims drawing.

SteveW said...

I like what the Alex added with the colours , nice piece and the others are great too . now i have to see the movie !

Yano said...

Nice to compare the uncolored and colored work...both are so different, even though it's the same piece. I've been tempted to see the movie, but I just don't have time!